Pastor Timothy L. Dortch
Subject: “Prayer That Gets Results”
Primary Scripture Reference(s): James 5:16-18
Sermon Notes and Nuggets
- You must pray with a clean heart.
- Righteous man = not perfect, but in right-standing with God; in right relationship.
- Imputed righteousness = we have been made righteous by faith in Christ; credited to us.
- Practical righteousness – (James 2:26)
- faith = belief in action.
- living righteously means living as God would have us live, including confessing our sins, as well as forgiving those that have sinned against us or offended us.
- We must come clean as we approach God’s presence in prayer.
- Pray earnestly.
- Fervent = to boil or be hot with passion; be passionate in spirit; having or displaying passionate intensity.
- Earnestly = seriously.
- Elijah prayed with focus, in faith, and with an intensity that got God’s attention.
- Pray specifically.
- He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain for 3 years and 6 months.
- He prayed again that it would rain, and the heavens set rain.
- We must get specific in this hour.
- You must pray in God’s will.
- 1 Kings 17:1
- 1 Kings 18:1
- It was God’s will to change the rain pattern over Israel.
- You can pray in confidence if you know God’s will.
- Sometimes God’s will is something totally different than our will.
- James 4:13-15
- We must pray with God’s glory in mind.
- What was the motivation of Elijah’s prayers?
- We need to pray with the right motive.
- 1 Kings 18:36-27
** These notes are just highlights and nuggets from the sermon. To have the message in its entirety, please purchase a copy on CD or DVD from the media ministry.**