Pastor Timothy L. Dortch
Subject: “Get It Together While You Still Have Time”
Primary Scripture Reference(s): 2 Peter 3:1-11
Sermon Notes and Nuggets
- 2 Peter 1:12-14
- The importance of being reminded.
- People are living like the Lord is not soon to come.
- Whatever God said in the old testament is still relevant; both the old and new testament still have authority.
- In the context of the scripture reference (2 Peter 3:1-11), there is something you need to know first:
- There will be scoffers… people that will make fun of the Lord’s return.
- We are are living in the last and evil days.
- The last days began when Jesus ascended into heaven.
- Pentecost was the miracle of understanding.
- People will come and say that they are the Christ, be do not believe them.
- Lust = desires.
- These same scoffers will walk or be governed by their own lusts or desires.
- This is a walk is a walk of faith and it won’t always make sense.
- Then secondly, God tells us what they (the scoffers) will say: “Where is the promise of His coming?”…
- The devil in this hour is distracting the people of God. We must stay focused.
- The devil is a master manipulator and imitator.
- The message of the scoffers is this… they will say things such as…
- “He has been talking about coming for 2,000 years. Where is He at? Why has He not come?”
- “Ain’t nothing changed since the creation. Everything that is now has always been that way.”
- They willfully forget (on purpose).
- They assume that because there has not been a widespread judgement of God, that there will be no judgement.
- The lesson that is taught by the flood (in Noah’s day) is that God is not going to allow sin to go unpunished forever.
- Jesus mentioned the flood (Matthew 24:37-39).
- What seems like forever for us, is a short time for God.
- God is in eternity and we are in time. God is not bound by time.
- Psalm 90:4
- God is not slack concerning the promise of His coming.
- Although it looks like He is not coming, He still is going to come.
- When He comes it going to be in way that will surprise some people, but it should be no surprise to the people of God.
- On that day the world will take on a total transformation.
- We must be vigilant and watchful of His coming.
** These notes are just highlights and nuggets from the sermon. To have the message in its entirety, please purchase a copy on CD or DVD from the media ministry.**