Pastor Timothy Dortch
Subject: “How To Function By Faith”
Primary Scripture Reference: Joshua 6:1-5
- We are on our way to realizing the promises of God (moving toward it).
- Jericho –> symbolic of barriers.
- Barrier = a fence or obstacle that prevents movement or access.
- Wander = move with no purpose.
- Obstacle = anything that blocks your way, prevents or hinder progress.
- a hurtle, stumbling block, hinderance.
- Jericho was an obstacle to the children of Israel.
- We function by faith.
- View your obstacles as opportunities for God to prove himself.
- See it differently … Think differently in this season.
- God is looking for a people that want Him to do something so they will know who He is.
- He is looking for loyal people; He wants to show His strength on our behalf.
- If you are going to possess it, then you are going to have to dispossess something else.
- Joshua 2:9
- Jericho was on “lockdown” because of Israel. Nobody could go in and nobody could go out.
- Just as you are preparing to get what God has promised you, somebody is trying to keep you from getting it.
- The walls of Jericho were double-wall; hard to get in.
- The Lord said He had already given them Jericho, the king, and the mighty men of valor.
- The battle is already over according to God’s perspective.
- God has an aerial view.
- God has already given you what He promised.
- If Israel could defeat Jericho (known as a fortress), then they can face anything else that would come before them.
- The worse is already over… It gets better.
- They marched around Jericho once a day for 6 days (6 times total) which required total dependence on God on every level (because it didn’t make sense). On the seventh day they marched around the city 7 times.
- Joshua had to have the faith, as well as the people because the plan included them.
- It was another level of warfare, using a different method of warfare.
- Israel worked in partnership with God.
- 1 Corinthians 3:9 –> We are co-laborers (we work with Him, He works with us).
- How to function by faith:
- Find out what God’s plan in (Verse 2).
- Obey that plan… Act on it (Verse 8-14).
- Take one day at a time (Verse 12-15).
- Thank Him in advance (Verse 16).
- Faith is getting ready to become sight.
- Romans 4:20
- Faith is what brought the walls of Jericho down.
** These notes are just highlights and nuggets from the sermon. To have the message in its entirety, please purchase a copy on CD or DVD from the media ministry.**