Pastor Timothy L. Dortch
Subject: “Don’t Forget Who You Are”
Primary Scripture Reference: John 1:19-27
- Sanhedrin = highest court in the land.
- modern day equivalent of the Supreme Court.
- The priest and Levites were sent to ask John who he was.
- We are living in a time where people want attention.
- John speaks with humility. His job was to point to the Messiah.
- We are not the source of the Light, but we are the reflect that Light which is Christ.
- Malachi 4:5
- Deuteronomy 18:15
- John avoided the conversation of them asking “who He was.”
- John knew his assignment; he was the voice crying in the wilderness.
- Isaiah 40:3
- He knew what is purpose was, but the focus still remained on Jesus (The Messiah).
- Luke 3:15
- The people were expecting the Messiah to come.
- The focus was not who he was, but rather why he came.
- Jesus was the Word, but John was the voice.
- A voice can be heard and not seen. We are NOT the focus.
- Baptizing: only those given delegated authority could do this, which is why they questioned him.
- He that was coming after John, is preferred before John.
- You are who and what God says you are by the grace of God.
- Luke 7:28
- The only way to truly know who are is to know who He is!