Pastor Timothy Dortch
Subject: “4 Benefits of Christ’s Death”
- Benefit = an advantage or profit gained from something.
- The book of Colossians is called a prison epistle (letter).
- Paul wrote this while he was in prison at Rome.
- The prison was not what we know today as a prison, but actually a house where Paul was kept at close watch.
- Paul was in prison not because he was doing something wrong, but because he was doing something right… preaching the gospel.
- Timothy co-authored the book of Colossians.
- Gnosticism/Gnostics = believed that it took special knowledge to be accepted by God.
- Some who believed that in that day professed to be Christians, but also believed that Jesus was NOT the only way to salvation.
- Salvation –> it’s not what you know that connects you to Christ, but who you know.
- God wants us to be fruitful in every good work and be ever increasing in the knowledge of God.
- If you know the truth on a regular basis consistently, you will be able to recognize error.
- God gives you joy in the midst of your waiting patiently.
4 Benefits that God secured for us when Christ died on the cross:
- He made us meet to be a part of His kingdom.
- meet = fit.
- If He made us fit, then were were not fit before in the state that we were in.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21.
- Christ knew no sin, but was made sin for us.
- A trade was made: our sin for his goodness (His righteousness).
- He rescued us from Satan’s dominion and made us His children.
- Delivered = Saved = Rescued.
- From = transferred.
- Colossians 2:15.
- Spoiled = disarmed.
- He bought our freedom.
- This is the idea of redemption.
- Hebrews 9:12.
- He bought our freedom with His own blood.
- He forgave all our sins.
- All unrighteousness is sin.
- Every thing we have ever done or could ever do, He died for it.
- Ephesians 1:7.
** These notes are just highlights and nuggets from the sermon. To have the message in its entirety, please purchase a copy on CD or DVD from the media ministry.**